[comtv-l] [cma-l] Local TV in trouble

Marilyn Hyndman marilyn at northernvisions.org
Thu Oct 15 17:33:04 BST 2015

... offset against property or investments in terms of the deficit?

 It may imply that local media and newspapers etc are not particularly profitable overall?

….it is not so long ago that newspapers were looking to do their own form of TV as an alternative to Local TV under the Brown government.
Someone else might remember what the awful and contrived scheme was called, have forgotten.

On 15 Oct 2015, at 17:10, Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com> wrote:

> How the heck can you operate a business - even as part of a larger Group - with such scathing losses?
> Isn't that Trading in Deficit?
> Isn't that illegal?
>
> Ian Hickling
> Partner
>

> Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)
> Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)
> 6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS
>

> From: marilyn at northernvisions.org
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:49:14 +0100
> To: bill.best at commedia.org.uk
> CC: comtv-l at commedia.org.uk; cma-l at mailman.commedia.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [cma-l] [comtv-l] Local TV in trouble
>
> The Guardian reported losses of £19.1million last year… and £30 million the year before.
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/08/guardian-observer-narrow-losses
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/30/guardian-observer-publisher-guardian-news-media
>

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 16:05, Bill Best <bill.best at commedia.org.uk> wrote:
>
> There's a rather scathing follow-up opinion piece here:
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/oct/14/dont-make-the-bbc-bail-out-the-busted-flush-that-is-local-tv
>
> Bill
> --
> Operations Manager
> Community Media Association
> http://www.commedia.org.uk
> https://twitter.com/community_media
> https://facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation
>
> Canstream Internet Radio
> http://www.canstream.co.uk
> https://twitter.com/canstream
>
> On 14 October 2015 at 12:23, Two Lochs Radio <tlr at gairloch.co.uk> wrote:
> I see Jeff Henry of Archant is quoted as saying "...in order for local TV to be commercially viable, it needs more financial support from the BBC and for Ofcom to allow the relaxation of programming regulations."
>

> Presumably since the company is reported to have lost £657k last year, that is the sort of level of financial support it would need to be viable - that's approaching double the entire Community Radio Fund, just for a single local TV service.
>

> Maybe the real answer is that effective small-scale local TV is simply not viable in the way that community radio can be, which is certainly how it looked to me at the start of this scheme, and to a consultation report published by Ofcom, which said:
>

> "Only London and Manchester can support a profitable standalone commercial local TV channel, given the levels of investment required to sustain local programming and low audience share and reach achievable by such a TV channel. The commercial prospects for local community TV channels in regions with under 200k homes are poor. Community channels are likely to have little appeal to advertisers and will have to rely on government funding and private donations"
> and
> [...]

ACCESS: Northern Visions is compliant with Disability legislation.
To obtain access to the lift, please mention this at the Front Door Intercom before entering the building.
A member of staff will meet you to give assistance.

Marilyn Hyndman
Northern Visions/NvTv
23 Donegall Street
Belfast