[comtv-l] Fwd:Ofcom DDR Statement

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Dec 14 11:21:11 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: Carmel McLaughlin <Carmel.McLaughlin at ofcom.org.uk>

Dear All

I am e-mailing you to make sure you know that this morning we
published our statement on the Digital Dividend Review. The statement
sets out the decisions we have made to date and our plans for moving
forward.

Some of the key points that I thought you would be interested in are as follows:

First, to provide opportunities for local TV to gain access to DTT, we
have decided to auction packages of interleaved spectrum that are
suitable for local TV (but not reserved for this use) in  locations
across the UK where there is evidence of demand for spectrum to
provide this type of service. There is an indicative list of locations
on page 90 of the statement. We have identified about 25 locations -
but we are open to considering suggestions for additions to (or even
subtractions from) this list.

Second, we will offer one or two packages in each location. Each
package should be equivalent to one multiplex which can carry several
standard definition channels. We will auction geographical packages
according to the DSO timetable. We plan to hold awards for packages in
Border, Granada, West Country and Wales towards the end of 2008.

Third, we have also decided to vary existing RSLs to permit digital
transmission instead of analogue, for licensees who wish to do so.
This will be subject to certain necessary technical (e.g. frequency
availability) and legal conditions that will need to be considered in
each case, but our aim is clearly to increase the flexibility
available. Short duration or event RSLs for digital transmission will
also be available on request, subject to spectrum being available.

We plan to publish further consultations in spring 2008 on the
detailed design of the digital dividend awards. And, as previously
indicated we will shortly be inviting you to a briefing in the New
Year which will include the opportunity to discuss NGW's technical
research which we hope to publish next week (this identified TV
suitable frequencies at 71 main transmission sites).

I hope this e-mail is helpful and, as usual, I am more than happy to
discuss further.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and I look forward to seeing you in
the New Year.

Best wishes

Carmel

:: Carmel McLaughlin