[comtv-l] [cma-l] Ofcom publishes statement on the Digital Dividend Review

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Dec 14 10:46:24 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: Shawn Sobers <Shawn.Sobers at uwe.ac.uk>

This is disappointing!

See point 1.47 of the full statement:

"We have considered arguments made by some local television operators
and community media organisations for intervening more extensively, to
reserve spectrum exclusively for local television and to award it by
beauty contest. We have concluded that further intervention is not
justified. It would have a high opportunity cost, displacing other
potential users who could also generate high value for society. It would
not ensure that local television is economically viable, and it would
reduce incentives to use spectrum efficiently. We also think that other
delivery mechanisms, such as broadband, might be an attractive
alternative for delivering social goals."