[comtv-l] Digital TV for a tenner from Tesco

Editor, Airflash Magazine michelle at commedia.org.uk
Wed Aug 29 13:37:42 BST 2007

Digital TV for a tenner from Tesco

Jemima Kiss
Wednesday August 29, 2007
MediaGuardian.co.uk

Tesco has unveiled what it claims is the UK's cheapest digital set-
top box, aiming to outdo its high street rivals with a £10 model on
sale from today.

Manufactured by Techwood, the digital TV box offers the standard 40
Freeview digital terrestrial TV channels and numerous radio stations,
at half the cost of the previous cheapest set-top box.

Small margins on the sales of digital TV set-top boxes mean the
product is likely to be a loss leader for the high street giant, but
Tesco claims the move is designed to prepare consumers for digital
switchover.

By 2012, the UK's analogue TV signal will be switched off and
consumers will have to use digital TV services, either through a TV
set with a digital built-in digital receiver, or a set-top box
attached to an analogue set. Digital switchover begins in the
Cumbrian town of Whitehaven on October 17.

Freeview is regarded as a bridge between analogue TV services and
digital TV offerings available via satellite or cable, which offer
more channels and more interactive services.

Consumers can buy a Freeview box with a one-off payment and no
further monthly subscriptions and receive around 40 free-to-air
channels, including all BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel Five services.

"We know that many of our customers aren't ready for the change in
the way their TV programmes are transmitted, so to get them prepared
for the switchover from analogue to digital, we're offering this
digital TV technology at the lowest price ever," said a spokesman for
Tesco.
Digital UK, the industry body charged with promoting the take-up of
digital TV, welcomed the announcement.
"We've seen the cheapest digital box go from £100 to £10 in just five
years, and this is further proof that going digital needn't be
expensive," said Ford Ennals, the chief executive of Digital UK.

"We're now working with Tesco and the other supermarkets to help them
provide switchover information in their stores."
Tesco's previous cheapest set-top box, along with rivals Comet and
Argos, was £19.99.

Freeview was introduced in October 2002 and to date, 19m set-top
boxes and TV sets with built in digital receivers have been sold.
According to Ofcom, 80.5% of UK households now receive digital TV
through their main TV set.

Source:  Media Guardian
http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2157737,00.html

-

Michelle McGuire
Editor, Airflash Magazine

*** There is still time to send in your news stories for the next
issue of Airflash magazine. Send press releases to
airflash at commedia.org.uk

Community Media Association
http://www.commedia.org.uk

"Access to the media for people and communities"