[comtv-l] Fwd: LEWISHAM 77: CALL FOR FILM-MAKERS

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 19:46:16 BST 2007

Fwd:

adnan hadzi (a.hadzi at gold.ac.uk) wrote:

This is a call for film-makers to get involved in any one of
three related activities around Lewisham '77. Lewisham '77 is
a project to commemorate the Battle of Lewisham 30 years ago.
In summer 1977, the fascist National Front planned an
"anti-mugging" march from New Cross to Lewisham, which was
faced with a counter-march organised by local anti-racist
groups, and spontaneous physical opposition by local youths
and militant anti-fascists. The battle was a decisive defeat
for the National Front in Deptford. (See weblinks below for
more information.)

1. Lewisham '77 is organising a walk on SATURDAY 15 SEPTEMBER,
starting at 3 pm in Clifton Rise, New Cross, ending in Lewisham.
There will be veterans of the event present, who will share
their memories as we move along the routes of the events of August 1977.
(This event will also form part of the Migrating University at
Goldsmiths on 14-15 September, part of lead-up the No Borders
camp at Gatwick - see weblinks below for details.) We would
like to film this event, and look for volunteers to do that.

2. Lewisham '77 is organising a commemorative event in New
Cross the afternoon and evening of November 3rd, with speakers and,
later, music. We would also like to film this event, and look
for volunteers to do that.

3. We would like to create a film of the whole process, using
some of the archival footage we are tracking down, as well as new
footage of reminiscences and the walk. Although this is a
longer-term project, we want to have a rough edit of some of the
footage (including of the walk) to screen on the 3rd November.
We are looking for volunteers to work on the editing.

We will be archiving all new new footage on deptford.tv to make it
available for film-makers.

If you are interested in being involved, please inform deptford.tv
info at deptford.tv

cheers,
adnan