[CMA TV] BBC offers concessions over local TV services

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Tue Nov 7 09:59:37 GMT 2006

BBC offers concessions over local TV services

Owen Gibson, media correspondent
Tuesday November 7, 2006

The BBC held out an olive branch yesterday to newspaper publishers
fearing that its plans for "ultra-local" TV services will damage
their commercial prospects.

In an effort to placate regional newspaper groups angry at proposals
to launch more than 60 local news services around the country, the
director general, Mark Thompson, offered to trade with them to grow
the overall market.

"In addition to our own local and regional newsrooms, we want to draw
on the news-gathering clout of the UK's local and regional newspapers
- and we'll pay for it," he told a Society of Editors conference in
Glasgow.

A nine-month pilot scheme in the West Midlands, which ended in
August, saw teams in four locations producing 10-minute local
bulletins - transmitted via broadband and digital TV - aimed at a
catchment area of about one million people. The BBC, which is due to
hear in the next month whether its bid for a 1.8% above-inflation
increase in the licence fee has been successful, is digesting the
results of the trial before deciding whether to press ahead.

The idea was opposed by the Newspaper Society, which represents
regional publishers including Johnston Press, Trinity Mirror and
Archant, last year. But Mr Thompson said potentially lucrative
features, such as entertainment listings, would not be included in
any new service.

"Above all, we would commit to working with rather than in opposition
to other providers of local news and information ... rather than
compete with them, or attempt to replace them, we want to partner
them and draw on the journalistic strength they already have on the
ground," he said. If the BBC decides to go ahead, it will be subject
to a new regulatory process. The media regulator Ofcom would conduct
a market impact assessment before handing its findings to the new BBC
Trust, which replaces the current board of governors.

Mr Thompson sought to reassure commercial rivals that the BBC could
be a "useful partner and a friendly neighbour rather than an
unintentional menace".

But he admitted it was "not surprising" that the BBC was under
increased scrutiny from a growing range of commercial rivals in a
rapidly converging media landscape.

Bob Satchwell, executive director of the Society of Editors, said:
"I've always felt that there could be an opportunity for both local
papers and the BBC working together. But it has to be a partnership
of equals and one which recognises the value that both would bring to
the party."

The shifting sands of the regional newspaper business were further
highlighted by an initiative from Google, which was unveiled yesterday.

The search company announced a partnership with 50 top US newspapers
to sell advertising space on their behalf to link its auction-based
online sales system with TV and print advertising.

Source: Media Guardian - http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/
0,,1941203,00.html

-
Michelle McGuire
Editor, Airflash Magazine
Communications Officer
http://www.commedia.org.uk

_______________
Book now for the Community Media sector's premier event!
http://www.commedia.org.uk/festival2006

CMA Festival & AGM 2006
City University
London

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield S1 2BX
UK
Tel. + 44 (0) 114 279 5219

"Access to the media for people and communities"