[CMA TV] Solent TV axes launch plans

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 12:04:52 GMT 2006

Solent TV axes launch plans
Susan Thompson
15 February 2006 09:49

Solent TV has axed plans to launch on the Sky platform due to lack of
funding.
The station had hoped to be the first local channel to roll out to a
national audience. The station's output will still be available
terrestrially, on Wight Cable and on the internet.

Investment intended for the launch on Sky - which had meant to happen
on 14 March - will be ploughed into these existing services.
"We are extremely sad to have to make this decision," said John
Stevenson, chairman of Solent TV. "But the deadlines were extremely
tight and by last Friday [10 February] it became clear that these
could not be met as contracts were still being negotiated.

He added: "It is devastating at this late stage to see our plans come
to this - but to embark on such a large-scale project without
everything in place would have necessitated the premature shutdown of
our terrestrial and web based services - a decision we felt was not
in the best long-term interests of Solent.

Source: broadcastnow.co.uk

--
Michelle McGuire
Editor, Airflash Magazine

Community Media Association
http://www.commedia.org.uk

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield S1 2BX
UK
Tel. + 44 (0) 114 279 5219

"Access to the media for people and communities"