[Community Television] Jowell likely to renew BBC's licence fee

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Mon Oct 18 15:56:58 BST 2004

Jowell likely to renew BBC's licence fee
Leigh Holmwood
  18 October 2004 10:05

  Media secretary Tessa Jowell has given her clearest indication yet
that the BBC licence fee will remain in place following the current
Charter review.

"I think the licence fee stands a very good chance of continuing to be
the way of funding the BBC," she said in an interview with today’s
Independent. "I have always said that the licence fee was the default
option."

Jowell added she would put "a fiver" on the fee staying – news that
will hearten the BBC in the run up to its new Charter.

The BBC’s plans to create a "window of creative competition" or WOCC,
which would see indies and other external suppliers competing with
in-house producers for a slice of commissions, also got the backing of
Jowell.

"I do feel passionately that this £2.8bn of licence fee money is
venture capital for creativity," she said. "The opportunity to bid for
that, and contribute to BBC programmes, should be extended beyond 25%
and should be extended to what is a flourishing indepdent sector, of
which I think we can be very proud."

Source: broadcastnow.co.uk