[Community Television] Digital switchover: the DCMS position

Michael Conn michael.conn at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 17:54:01 BST 2004

Originally from the Department of Culture Media and Sport.
--

DEPARTMENT FOR CULTURE, MEDIA AND SPORT
DIGITAL SWITCH

You might like to see the written statement that was laid in
parliament at 1pm today.

In my statement of 19 May I said that I would report further stages
in establishing the plan for switchover.  I am pleased to say that
much progress has been made in the discussions between the
Government, Ofcom, and the public service broadcasters.

While the broadcasters have not reached a full consensus on the
optimum timetable, some - including the BBC -  have suggested that
2012 may be the most appropriate date for the completion of
switchover. This could mean beginning the switching sequence as early
as 2007.  This would be subject to agreement on a detailed plan,
including resolution of the remaining issues raised in the
discussions.  Ofcom plans to include reference to this timetable in
the draft digital licences for Channels 3, 4,5 and Teletext which
they expect to publish for consultation later this summer.

We continue to believe that an ordered process leading to the
earliest practicable switchover remains desirable given the
advantages to consumers, the broadcasting industry and future growth
of innovative new services.  We believe that switchover should be
broadcaster-led but that the final decision on timetable should
balance these benefits against the need to ensure that the interests
of the most vulnerable consumers are protected.  I have therefore
asked Ofcom's independent consumer panel to consider what measures
might be necessary to ensure this protection and to report to me
later this year with their advice.  We will also take advice from
leading charities.  The Government's final endorsement of a timetable
will be subject to being satisfied that adequate measures are in
place to meet this objective.

The BBC, in their 29 June publication "Building Public Value",
proposed that 2012 should be the target date for switchover.  The BBC
made clear its willingness to be a "leader and coordinator across the
industry" and to "take a special responsibility for bringing the
final cohorts into the digital television universe".   I have asked
the BBC how they propose to take this forward.

The Government remains committed to ensuring that switchover is
planned and implemented in a way which is platform and broadcaster
neutral.  Consumers must have clear, unbiased information about what
is available on each platform and from each provider so that they can
make an informed choice. In particular, people who buy television
equipment now should know that switchover will take place during the
expected lifetime of television sets bought today. We are therefore
engaged with retailers and manufacturers - who also need to plan
ahead - to see that good clear information is given to consumers
currently planning to buy a television or an item of recording
equipment.  We expect this information to spread through retail
outlets from September, identified by the switchover logo.

As an early step towards switchover, we are proceeding with a
technical trial in two villages - Ferryside and Llansteffan - in
South Wales.  The residents have responded overwhelmingly in favour
of taking part in this trial.  If, as we expect, this switchover
trial is successful, this community will be the first in the UK to go
fully digital next spring.

We expect further progress on these matters in the coming months and
I will report to the House on material developments as they occur.

--
Mickey Conn
Admin Assistant

Community Media Association