[Community Television] CDN opens northern office

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jul 9 14:11:49 BST 2004

CDN opens northern office
  09 July 2004 10:52

The Cultural Diversity Network - the organisation representing the UK’s
major broadcasters, which aims to improve ethnic representation in TV
on and off screen - has opened its first branch in the north of
England.

CDN-North comprises representatives from nine organisations based in
the North of England - BBC GMR, ITV Granada, Liverpool Film Studios,
Media Training North West, Media Trust North West, North West Vision,
the Northwest Regional Development Agency and indies 12 Yard and Red
Productions.

At the launch event at Manchester United’s football ground Old
Trafford, the BBC’s director of sport and race champion Peter Salmon
announced that CDN was also to launch a website, at
www.cdnetwork.org.uk <http://www.cdnetwork.org.uk>.

The website will be an information source, chronicling the activities
of the CDN’s members, in regards to cultural diversity issues. Both the
website and the CDN North brand were launched following a seminar about
good practice in multi-faith programming, hosted by the BBC’s head of
religion and ethics Alan Bookbinder.

Salmon said: "Issues of race and diversity affect all of us. I’m very
proud of the big leaps forward we have made in broadcasting in recent
years, and pleased that we have been able to launch a website to
capture this, but we can’t be complacent.

"Partnerships like CDN-North are key to making an impact on the ground.
Devolution is in the air, not just in the political world but also for
the media."

Source: broadcastnow.co.uk