[Community Television] Fwd: BBC finding show viewers want 'local tv news'

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Thu Dec 18 09:38:23 GMT 2003

Forwarded From: local.tv at virgin.net
(Apologies for cross posting)

Begin forwarded message:

'Scottish Six' idea dropped

BBC Scotland will not pursue the idea of a "Scottish Six" news
programme following a major review of output.

At a series of public meetings and in a poll, viewers said they were
happy with the present Reporting Scotland format.

In the survey of 1,090 people, 45% said they were in favour of the
status quo while 38% wanted an integrated hour of national and
international news produced in Scotland.

Another 17% said they had no view. BBC Scotland controller John
McCormick welcomed the results of the review.

"This is the most comprehensive review ever undertaken into our
journalism and the key finding is a high level of satisfaction with the
range of programmes we provide," he said.

Survey findings
45% favour present 6pm-7pm format
38% want 'Scottish Six'
81% want local tv news
57% want local radio news
60% want Scottish headlines on News 24

"At the same time it gives us a number of pointers as to how we can
strengthen and develop our output and we'll now address these in the
year ahead."

There were calls for interactive "on demand" options which could
provide viewers with additional Scottish news on News 24.

People also wanted political programmes which focused on review rather
than procedure and included direct questioning of politicians by
members of the public.

On television and radio, there is an increased expectation that the
BBC, which has 11 staffed centres across Scotland, should provide
richer coverage of local or regional news in addition to its national
news service.

Regional service

The review's final report says: "The unexpectedly high demand for local
news on tv and radio was one of the key messages to emerge... and BBC
Scotland will examine how it might provide a stronger regional news
service considering the options for all services - radio, television
and online."

BBC Radio Scotland news output was also highly appreciated by its
listeners, although awareness of its programmes needed to be increased,
particularly among younger listeners and those in the south of Scotland.

"The first task must be to extend listening further into existing
audience segments by promotion and cross-trailing, then to appeal to a
younger and more female demographic through editorial and presentation
and targeted promotion," the report goes on.

Overall, satisfaction with output on television, radio and online was
high, with respondents saying that BBC Scotland news and current
affairs programmes were vital for the health of Scottish society and
democracy.

BBC Scotland said the survey showed strong appreciation of the current
range of programmes.

Among regular Newsnight viewers, 74% said they wanted the current
format to stay as it is. Only 8% wanted the Scottish opt-out dropped
altogether.

Newsnight Scotland is to continue in its current slot.

Political reaction

The former deputy Scottish Secretary, George Foulkes, said he and his
Labour colleagues feared that Scotland would have become "parochial and
inward-looking" if the Scottish Six proposal had gone ahead.

The Shadow Scottish Secretary, Peter Duncan, also welcomed the findings.

The Tory MP said there was "no demand" for a change and that the
current format gave a fair reflection to Scottish issues.

However, the Scottish National Party is tabling a special motion in the
Commons attacking the decision.

Its Westminster leader Alex Salmond described the announcement as
"disastrous".

The party accused the corporation of running scared of the government,
claiming the BBC did not want another confrontation.