[comradio-l] DCMS Consultation on the future of community radio

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Feb 25 11:38:05 GMT 2014

A reminder - DCMS has published its consultation on community radio.  The
deadline for responses is *23rd April 2014*.

Below is the link to the consultation document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/community-radio-consultation

We urge you all to respond to this consultation, whether as a licensed
station or other interested party, and where possible to copy your response
to the us at the CMA to inform our response to it on your behalf.

We have created an online form on our website for you to respond/copy your
response to us – here:

http://www.commedia.org.uk/dcms-community-radio-consultation-response-form/

The questions in the consultation are below. We look forward to working
with you all to ensure a better future for community radio.

Best wishes

*Community Media Association*

++

*Question 1* – Do you agree that the restriction on community radio, whose
coverage areas overlap with commercial radio licence areas with fewer than
150,000 adults in their measured coverage area, should be removed.  If you
disagree with this statement please substantiate with details from any
available source.

*Question 2* – If the funding restrictions on advertising were to be
reduced ought the requirement on Ofcom to look at potential economic impact
need also to be reviewed. We welcome your views on this.

*Question 3* – Should there be a relaxation of the restriction preventing
stations from taking more than 50% of their income from advertising and
sponsorship. If your answer to this question is yes, then what should the
new restriction be.  How should it be determined. For example, set in
regulation or set by Ofcom following consultation and reviewing
periodically.

*Question 4* – Of the two options noted above which do you support, and
why.  Include reasons why you dismiss the alternative option.  We invite
you to provide details on other approaches for consideration.

*Question 5* – What way/s could a Fixed Revenue Allowance be fairly
determined if this was to be set by Ofcom.  Should this be set by Ofcom.
What facts would Ofcom need to take into account in setting an appropriate
level of allowance.

*Question 6* – Would you support a further 5 year extension of a licence
beyond the second 5 year period.   If you do not agree, please provide
reasons why this should not happen.

*Question 7* – How can Community Radio Fund grant funding be better used.

*There are no plans to alter how decisions are taken to distribute the
grant however we welcome views on other ways in which the grant could be
better targeted and how might this be done.\\*
https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/canstream