[comradio-l] [cma-l] UK First : New iPhone app by Birmingham based youth radio station

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 19:17:07 BST 2011

Excellent stuff, Prashant!

Maybe not quite a first for the UK. I'm not sure who was first but I
do know of the following initiatives:

Harborough FM:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/harborough-fm/id381507442?mt=8

Red Road radio:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/redroad/id393873913?mt=8

There might be some more out there and I do know that Future Radio in
Norwich are just about to release their Android app.

Finally we have the Canstreamer app on Android for community radio
stations streaming on the CMA's flagship Canstream webcasting
platform:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.phonegap.cmaplayer

We are only Android at the moment but the techies are working on the
iPhone/iPad release even as we speak - hopefully it will be ready in
the next few weeks.

More details about the Canstreamer app can be found online here
including some screenshots:

http://www.canstream.co.uk/canstreamer

Canstreamer showcases all the community radio stations webcasting on
Canstream - even short-term RSL stations. Other features to note are:

- RSS feed of news from the Community Media Association website
- RSS feed of sector and funding news from the CMA's Twitter stream
- syndicated content from *this* mailing list. Keep up with community
media news on the move!
- contact details for every community radio station featured - to grow
your volunteer base!

The Canstreamer project has been funded by Arts Council England
(Yorkshire region) through The ArtiMelt Academy
(http://www.artimelt.com/) with input from The GIST Foundation
(http://thegisthub.net/) a grassroots community technology initiative
based in Sheffield, and Python coding alchemy from Phil Gyford
(http://www.gyford.com/).

We hadn't formally announced our project as we are still working on a
few bugs - and we have the iPhone release outstanding - but if you do
have an Android phone then please download Canstreamer, give us your
feedback and our kindly techies might be able to work with your
suggestions.

You can keep up with Canstreamer news via Twitter:
http://twitter.com/canstreamer

Best regards for now

Bill

Canstream Internet Radio & Video