[comradio-l] New round of Community Radio licensing

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 15:49:32 BST 2011

Ian

Many thanks for your feedback.

As a number of Ofcom representatives are subscribed to this mailing
list, your recommendations will have been conveyed to them.

Bear in mind that over the next four years to 2014/15, Ofcom has had
to reduce its total budget by 28.2 per cent in real terms. In a drive
to reshape and refocus the organisation, the majority of the cuts are
going to be made in year one:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/03/ofcom-announces-budget-reduction-and-savings/

One noticeable effect of the budget restrictions on the community
radio licensing process is that there will be no regional community
radio workshops in this round.

Some other points to bear in mind about the Third Round:

· To be conducted on a region-by-region basis; regions are slightly
different to last round (e.g. Scotland and NI are separate this time).

· The first region is south-west England and Wales (16 weeks until the
closing date; the usual deadline will be 12 weeks after announcement).

· The list of areas where Ofcom cannot accept FM applications is
fairly extensive, and will or may be added to as applications are
invited from each region.

· The application form has been extensively revised with fewer
questions overall.

· Ofcom will ask applicants to draft their own ‘key commitments’ which
will form the basis of their licence should they be successful.

· Some sections of the application form will have word limits.

Hope that helps.  Keep in touch with news about the Third Round of
community radio licensing via this mailing list, the CMA website and
our social media presence.

Best regards

Bill Best

Canstream Internet Radio & Video