[CMA R] Welsh Assembly to introduce Community Radio Fund

Alan Fransman alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk
Wed Oct 25 23:29:58 BST 2006

+++Apologies for cross posting+++

Community Media Association

News Release

Welsh Assembly to introduce Community Radio Fund

The Welsh Assembly made a historic commitment to Community Radio this week
in a debate on the draft budget of the Welsh Assembly Government for the
financial years 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010.
In her presentation of the draft budget, Sue Essex AM, the Minister for
Finance, Local Government and Public Services said; "We recognise the
valuable part that these (Community Radio) projects play in establishing
and maintaining community identities, as well as providing training
opportunities for our young people.  We have supported a number of
Community Radio projects in recent years as part of our work to support
communities under Edwina Hart's budget.  Therefore, I am pleased to
announce today an expansion in this support.  I am establishing a
Community Radio fund of £0.5 million over the next five years that will
provide support in the early stages of these projects.  This additional
money will meet core costs until the projects have reached maturity and
are sustainable in their own right.  I hope that the opposition will
welcome that."
The Minister's announcement came in response to an amendment proposed by
opposition parties to include 'financial assistance to Community Radio
stations' in the Welsh Assembly Government budget.  The amendment was
proposed in the names of Ieuan Wyn Jones - Leader of Plaid Cymru, Nick
Bourne - Leader of the Welsh Conservative Party, John Marek of Forward
Wales and Trish Law, an independent AM.
Phil Shepherd, Chair of the Community Media Association and Andrew Jones,
station manager for GTFM in Pontypridd were invited to address the
Assembly's 'All Party Creative Industries Group' at a special event
focussing on Community Media which followed the debate.
Welcoming the announcement, Phil Shepherd said; "I am delighted to be able
to address members of the Welsh Assembly on this historic occasion.  This
announcement is the result of many years of campaigning by groups like
GTFM to ensure recognition of Community Media's value to society and the
need for Government to support the sector's development. The Welsh
Assembly's agreement to support Community Media in this way sets an
important precedent for future commitments from central Government and
other devolved structures in the UK."
Andrew Jones, Station Manager for GTFM said: "Working closely with the
Assembly has been a key priority for us and over the past 12 months we
have lobbied all political parties to raise the profile of community radio
in Wales as well as well as the issue of funding. The Welsh Assembly has
always said it wants to take government to the grass roots and supporting
community radio in this way clearly demonstrates this. This trail blazing
announcement shows that our politicians in the Senedd are able to be
creative and forward thinking in the way that they support communities."
-ends-

For further information please contact Alan Fransman on 0114 279 5219 or
email alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk
Notes to editors
1. The Community Media Association (CMA) is the UK membership association
for community media.  Its mission is to enable people to establish and
develop communications media for cultural and creative expression,
community development and entertainment.  The CMA membership consists of
300 community media organisations plus 300 individuals and associate
organisations. CMA members work throughout the UK in sound and radio,
television, video and new media.  The CMA’s head office is located in
Sheffield.2. Community Radio is a third tier of radio distinct from Public and
Commercial Radio.  Community Radio stations are locally owned and
accountable to their audience.  They operate on public service principles
for community benefit and are non-profit distributing.
Further information on the CMA can be found at http://www.commedia.org.uk