[CMA R] Social objectives

Richard comms2_email at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 28 22:10:39 BST 2006

Let's say that you are a Christian radio station and that your primary
intended audience is the Christian Community, but also the wider community.

Now, there are 4 mandatory social objectives:

CRO 2004

(2) In relation to a community radio service, "social gain" means the
achievement, in respect of individuals or groups of individuals in the
community that the service is intended to serve, or in respect of other
members of the public, of the following objectives -

(a) the provision of sound broadcasting services to individuals who are
otherwise underserved by such services,

(b) the facilitation of discussion and the expression of opinion,

(c) the provision (whether by means of programmes included in the service or
otherwise) of education or training to individuals not employed by the
person providing the service, and

(d) the better understanding of the particular community and the
strengthening of links within it,

Okay, is that Christian radio station allowed to achieve those 4 mandatory
social objectives by running a station that is 100% Christian programming?
I'm not saying a Christian station would do that, but would a station be
within the rules to have 100% Christian programming?

Of course, I think it is virtually impossible to achieve the other list (not
exhaustive) of social objectives with 100% Christian programming, but these
are non mandatory objectives. I.e:

(3) Those objectives are -

(a) the delivery of services provided by local authorities and other
services of a social nature and the increasing, and wider dissemination, of
knowledge about those services and about local amenities;

(b) the promotion of economic development and of social enterprises;

(c) the promotion of employment;

(d) the provision of opportunities for the gaining of work experience;

(e) the promotion of social inclusion;

(f) the promotion of cultural and linguistic diversity;

(g) the promotion of civic participation and volunteering.

By 100% Christian programming I mean programming about some aspect of the
Christianity religion: faith stories, Christian music, Christian debate and
opinion, Christian related notices etc.

Thanks.