[CMA R] Election Specials from the CMA!

Alan Fransman alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk
Wed Mar 8 14:13:24 GMT 2006

+Apologies for Cross posting+

Community Media Association

News Release

Election Specials from the CMA!

The Community Media Association today launched a new initiative to
support Community Radio, TV and Internet groups to promote voter
participation in the local elections on 4 May. Titled ‘Your Community
Media! Your Vote 2006,’ the project will develop the skills, resources
and confidence needed to enable the Community Media sector to contribute
to local democracy by promoting an informed citizenship, facilitating
dialogue between communities and elected representatives and enabling
meaningful participation in the electoral process. ‘Your Community
Media! Your Vote 2006’ is funded by the Electoral Commission.

Alan Fransman, CMA Deputy Director said: “Community Media projects are
uniquely placed to play an effective role in connecting communities and
electoral candidates at local level about local issues. The UK’s fast
growing Community Media sector is set to make a huge impact on way in
which communities engage with the electoral process.”

Stephen Rooney, Electoral Commission Head of Communication said:
"Community media has a really important role to play in raising
awareness of the democratic process and we're very pleased to be working
with The Community Media Association. We all have an opinion on what
goes on in our area, and these concerns are often reflected through
community radio, television and websites.  This partnership is an
excellent opportunity to help people to understand more about how
politics works, how we can get involved and how we make our voices heard. "

‘Your Community Media! Your Vote 2006’ is based on four complementary
strands:
Training workshops in London and Manchester for Community Media
organisations, with input from the Electoral Commission, the Office of
Communications (Ofcom), the BBC, the Women’s Radio Group and Radio Regen.
1. An Elections Handbook for Community Media programme makers.
2. A website with information, advice and resources for Community Media
programme makers
3. Small grants for Public Service Announcements (PSAs), produced by
Community Media organisations to encourage voter participation.

The four strands of the project combine to form a comprehensive support
package for Community broadcasters interested in making imaginative
programming within the special regulations set for broadcasters during
election time.

Your Community Media! Your Vote 2006!” builds on the success of a
similar project in 2005
which supported Community Media projects during the General Election.
The project reached over 40 Community Media projects, and an estimated
audience of 650,000 people.  Community Media broadcasters associated
with the project produced 58 new programmes on election issues.

Further information about 'Your Community Media! Your Vote' 2006 can be
found at http://yourvote.commedia.org.uk/

-ends-

For further information or pictures, please contact Alan Fransman on
0114 279 5219 or email alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk

Notes to editors
1. The Community Media Association (CMA) is the UK membership
association for community media.  Its mission is to enable people to
establish and develop communications media for cultural and creative
expression, community development and entertainment.  The CMA membership
consists of 300 community media organisations plus 300 individuals and
associate organisations. CMA members work throughout the UK in sound and
radio, television, video and new media.  The CMA’s head office is
located in Sheffield and the organisation supports a development office
in Scotland.
2. The Electoral Commission is an independent body set up by the UK
Parliament. Our mission is to foster public confidence and participation
by promoting integrity, involvement and effectiveness in the democratic
process.
3. On 4 May 2006, there will be over 170 local government elections,
including Metropolitan District Councils and London Boroughs Council
Elections.

--
Alan Fransman
Community Media Association

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities