[CMA R] South Yorkshire and the Humber - Community Radio

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Thu Dec 21 14:44:12 GMT 2006

Fwd:

From: "Daniel Finnan - The Hillz Radio" <dan at thehillz.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:27:16 +0000
To: comradio-l at commedia.org.uk

Hi Phil,

I had issues with the timetabling as soon as the second round of
applications was announced. I did post comments on the CMA list and
brought up my concerns with Alan Fransman.

It is inconsistent to place preference on different regions,
especially when the first round of applications did not split up
regions until it was time to make decisions.

I understand Ofcom made changes to the system to speed up the system -
but it does not seem fair to place certain community radio stations
across the UK at advantage or disadvantage according to the
application timetable.

My concern with our project is funding. We have funding which ties in
to making a full time licence application. I originally made very
liberal approximations at when we were going to invited to make an
application. My project milestones have now been totally thrown out
the window. We will be lucky to make an application within this 2
year project. Another of our core funding from Children In Need
finishes in October 2007. If we do not get continuation funding, we
will not be here to make a full time licence application. I question
whether if we had already made an application whether it would be
easier for us to secure more long term funds. I feel that this longer
extended wait may affect our ability to make a strong licence
application.

In the meantime we need to continue the momentum of our work and
broadcasting another RSL will cost us a princely £5000.

I can understand that different regions, conflicting demand for
stations and use of frequency mean that considerations are more
involved than I can imagine. But it does not seem just that the West
Midlands is dealt with 6th in the list and the South West should be
dealt with 1st.

My New Year's Resolution:

To apply for a full time community radio licence sometime in 2007!

Best Wishes,

Daniel Finnan