[CMA R] Digital switchover

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Tue Aug 9 10:45:07 BST 2005

Hi David

The issue of digital switch over is quite a complicated one for radio
compared to television which is broadly expected to switch over in
2012. As yet, there is no set date for switch over for analogue radio
in the UK. In terms of the rest of Europe, each country has its own
timetable and there are still many discussions to be had on a common
delivery method as they are all using different technologies.

In terms of Radio Hams, digital switch over will not effect Ham Radio
in the short or even medium term as it uses a different part of the
spectrum and I believe there are certain aspects that are already on
digital. If you would like further information on this, the
department at Ofcom that licenses Ham Radio will be able to give you
more details. You can call the Ofcom switch board on  0845 456 3000
or 020 7981 3040.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Michelle