[Community Radio] New Director at the Community Media Association

Alan Fransman alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 16:10:51 BST 2004

New Director at the Community Media Association

Diane Reid took up her appointment as the new Director of the Community
Media Association (CMA) on 12th July. She replaces Steve Buckley who now
heads a new consultancy agency for the Community Media sector called
Community Media Solutions.

Diane's interest in community media goes back to the late 1970s, when
she was involved in student media and did her final year thesis on
community access to broadcasting. Diane is an experienced broadcaster,
having spent over twenty years in television and radio production at the
BBC, where she also worked in diversity management and on secondment to
the Media Trust. More recently, Diane worked for Comic Relief and for
children’s disability charity HCPT –The Pilgrimage Trust. She is part of
a team working for community radio in her home town of Glossop. “I take
up the Directorship in an historic week for community media. I am very
conscious of the years of hard work and campaigning undertaken by the
CMA, led by Steve Buckley, and its member organisations. I look forward
to working alongside CMA members to bring about a community media sector
which is strong, vibrant and committed to information, education and
entertainment and, of course, participation and empowerment.”

Mary Dowson, Chair of the Community Media Association said: "We are
extremely pleased to welcome Diane Reid to the helm of the CMA.
Community Media is on the threshold of a bright new future and we are
fortunate to have Diane on board in this new phase."