[CMA_Radioforum] Letter to Lord Currie

Nicky Edmonds nicky at commedia.org.uk
Mon Aug 4 14:46:25 BST 2003

Hello everyone
I have forwarded this email from Amarjit Khera from Desi Radio

Best wishes

Nicky Edmonds

Dear Nicky, here is a copy of the letter sent to Lord David Currie.

I would like to suggest that the  other Access/Community Radio Stations
also write a similar letter, so that we could get some response from
OFCOM.

Many thanks,

Amarjit

Lord David Currie

OFCOM

Riverside House

2a Southwark Bridge Road

London

SE1 9HA

Thursday 31st July, 03

Dear Lord Currie,

DESI RADIO – Access / Community Radio

I am writing to you to ascertain what the next stage of the Community
Radio will be.

We are very pleased that this initiative has been developed and very
encouraged by the support we were given from the Radio Authority. As you
are aware our licences have been extended to the end of this calendar
year. Anthony Everitt’s evaluation has been extremely positive about all
the Access/Community Radio Stations and we feel there is an optimistic
future for this type of Radio.

We are committed to this Radio Station and are constantly engaged in
fundraising and developing training initiatives to support the station.
We inevitably need to undertake a fair amount of forward planning. The
end of our current licence period will be upon us very shortly and we
would like to know what the future possibilities are.

We realise that at its inception OFCOM has a considerable amount of work
to undertake and the timing of this initiative has coincided with your
busiest period. We understand that The Department of Culture, Media and
Sport will soon be making a policy statement about community radio. We
would be very interested to know what timetable and proposal you
envisage.

Thank you very much for your help.

Yours sincerely

Ms Amarjit Khera

CC    Stephen Carter – Chief Executive OFCOM

          Philip Rutnam - OFCOM

Community Media Association
Celebrating 20 years of Community Media
1983-2003