[CMA_Radioforum] Launch Dates, Copyright issues etc.

Sattar, Javed (UK07) javed.sattar at honeywell.com
Thu Feb 21 09:52:16 GMT 2002

Hi Steve,

Our station, Awaz Fm, like that of Punjab Radio - Southall, Asian Woman's
Group - Nottingham and if anyone else in their station will be playing music
that originates from India and Pakistan or elsewhere in the world.

Most of the material we use falls into three brackets:

a) Music from India which are licensed and released from UK based record
companies.
b) Music from Pakistan - Only certain artists are licensed from UK based
record companies.
c) Music which isn't released here but only in India and Pakistan.

Q1: Music that Originates from countries outside the UK, are they still
covered under PRS/PPL rules. If so which ones?
Q2: Which countries are not reached in International Agreement for
copyright?
Q3: Often we have material which might not have all the details of their
recording. So how do we know that paying PRS/PPL fees will actually reach
individuals of those recordings and their country of origin.

I believe Amerjit - Punjab Radio, raised a question like those above at an
earlier Access Group Meeting.
We both felt that monies given to PRS/PPL was monies that would not go
directly to the artist in the origin of their countries outside the UK. Only
music we play that is created in the UK can we feel meets that objective.

These are some points that are concerning me and have in the past when
running RSL.

It would be grateful if you can put these points across to both PPL and PRS.
I know that this reflects a few of the Access Groups.

thanks

Javed
Awaz Fm