[cma-l] The merry-go-round

Canalside Community Radio Ltd office at canalsideradio.net
Wed Mar 21 14:26:04 GMT 2018

Dear All

I say this with a smile and little chuckle because you really couldn’t write the script. I have made many an observation over the Years and always willing to back them up with facts if needs be. Sadly you do have to do that, as our Industry / Sector (it has been proved) has a rather large share of folk who suffer              ‘’’selective memory loss’’’           I just feel obliged to play Sandie Shaw       ‘’there’s always something there to remind me/us’

I do like to read and learn from the experts …. Those who blog and/or podcast – write       and not forgetting our regular updates from our Radio friends.

Is it just me or do we have a number of stories running that each time a new release comes out there’s a complete contradiction ??    I’m not complaining, I find it quite amusing, but obviously a bit baffling as well            It’s not just one or two we seem to have a conveyor belt full of em now and it really has got to the point now where half-wits and numptys like me simply do not know what to believe anymore ?

Now there is some sensible conversation here team, because if we look hard at headlines like     ‘Dab is the future’      ‘followed by in the next edition’       no future for DAB and its Radio sets as Olga – Alexia - Hilda    whatever her name is ??    is now sending us down another direction        then who do we believe ?   what do we believe ?

As some Radio Stations gear up for another kicking from Commercial Radio or PRS / PPL / DCMS – Councils   etc       and line up for Licence extensions    or moving over to / or not moving over to DAB     it doesn’t exactly fill you with the joys of spring when you read experts now writing headlines like     RADIO IS DEAD !     😊                      I think I know what they mean though        dead in the original form that we knew it, so basically WE now have to do a tweak or two and a fettle or three

Where does Community Radio sit in all of this ?      here’s where for once I move quickly from half-wit to expert          I like to think this is good advice                           all that we have left out of this 15 Year journey is this :-

1.	What we do off-air is important ---- certainly opportunities, training, accessibility       a bit of regular Central Government / Local Government Funding for this would be nice
2.	Social Media needs to getting a good 3 points on the coupon with at least a ‘’’draw’’’ with so called ‘rivals’         what is a rival ??     it’’s not necessarily another Radio Station, it is merely someone / something / some establishment that is there offering somewhere else to spend their lolly £££ but not with you / us
3.	On-Air       I believe this has now gone full-circle        and the development of our people is as much about personality and delivery from an individual, as it is about  skill-set / training / gadgets     etc

In other-words, people are important and you live or die by those people …… both on-air and off-air             I think the Day Ethel / Hilda / Olga / Alexia delivers you requests on a plate but with a ‘’’personality’’’    then yes           RADIO IS DEAD

Community Radio I have discovered is full of personalities, wonderful people, interesting people ……… even nutballs like me sit somewhere in there               it / we all make up the mix, and it is our strength. Remember that guys and gals, I believe you will find it is good advice.

I await the next exciting press release on the future of Radio ……………. Could we ask the Printers please in order to simplify things could they just headline all the stories under ‘’’[ CONTRADICTION]’’’    the goalposts seem to be moving that many times they could give the DCMS a run for their money

Onwards and Upwards everyone      wherever onwards and upwards is

By all means feel free to shoot me down or agree or add to the observation                there you go an e-mail that’s not having a pop at anyone, I must be mellowing in my old age   😊

Nick

Canalside Community Radio Ltd.

Canal 2B,

Clarence Mill,