[cma-l] News release from PPL

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue May 30 17:05:34 BST 2017

Ha, I’ll collect the award later Nick.

But seriously, it does show that PPL has plenty of scope to propose to its
members that they could introduce a social benefit licence scheme for very
little cost by offering a low cost flat-fee (say £200) licence to stations
constituted to operate not-for-profit and for social gain.

A back of the envelope calculation suggests this might drop their revenue
from £212.1m to £211.8m (ie by about 0.15%).

So it would make the tiniest difference to their bottom line, while making a
big difference to many hard-pressed community operations, while PPL would
get the publicity kudos of showing what excellent public benefit-minded
souls they are, and also support stations that tend to give more exposure to
their less well-known and less well-heeled members.

Must go now – I want to try and get a photo of the pig that just passed my
window.

Alex