[cma-l] FW: the pudding

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 13:21:02 GMT 2017

I completely agree that the quality and engagement of the audience is where
CR stations can win, this is the argument I have used several times when
talking about coverage and listenership.

In terms of surveys you have to be cautious about how you do your own,
there have been Ofcom breaches based of stations reporting their own
surveys conducted by their own volunteers etc.

I believe the Radio Response team did put together a robust methodology of
street surveys that I think had real promise, and it is a shame that the
radio fund pot wasnt large enough to accomodate their trial.

I believe a robust methodology that holds up well to scrutiny that could be
adopted and utilised across the country could not only produce numbers that
local stations can use, but also a national picture that can be presented
 to national brands and organisations.

Thats assuming we are happy with the numbers it produces, and shows people
really are listening.

If you want other methodologies and approaches I was inspired a few years
ago with Andy from Bay with his "carjar" which I believe involving asking
one or two local garages to survey what radio stations the local cars and
tuned to when they are brought in.