[cma-l] Invitation of Application for Community Radio licences

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:29:44 BST 2017

Interesting that this has come out today, when the closing date for "non-competitive" Applications isn't for another 9 days.
Maybe Ofcom didn't get as many in that tranche as anticipated?

A few points in that document:

"*NB We have recently completed a community radio licensing round in London and other areas within the M25, as a result we have carried out extensive frequency availability work in these areas and it is highly unlikely that we will find additional frequencies for sites in the areas asterisked.
No - You just have to look harder - and get rid of the 40 or so pirates who are occupying otherwise "safe" channels.

It is our usual policy to license community radio services utilising only one transmission site; all applications should therefore be based on the use of a single site only. Any information about further transmission sites will not be considered at this stage.
No - That wasn't in the previous format. Some Applications will legitimately require more than one site to be efficient.

We are not able to enter into correspondence about transmission arrangements. The only exception to this is if we need to seek clarification from you about your transmission arrangements.
No - You can ask questions but we can't?
Isn't that unconstitutional?

I'm afraid Ofcom is all too quick to say what it can't do - when what it really means what it isn't prepared to do.

Ian Hickling

Partner

[https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2SkDsnIzSZgRbNnNKBSiwxiFhFQWRGV55mTjVL23fulnJpstZmYxeKrrYefY4qxiSgkMrAETld64XINLXCsujE_zI5gAsQyWeCWvHixcrNYtar3Sij4YlVBgN2NSQ-n2DsgZvrnpWZlfwCQ=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.transplanuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/transplan_UK_weblogo_190x60.png]<http://www.transplanuk.com/>

Office: 016 3557 8435  (07h to 22h GTS)

Car: 075 3098 0115 (only responds when driving)

6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS