[cma-l] update DAB

Canalside Community Radio Ltd office at canalsideradio.net
Mon Jul 17 10:19:14 BST 2017

Dear All (FAO - Mike / Nigel / David

I have found the section that aroused the 'been thinking'

______________________________________

This study finally considers the possible extension of small scale small
scale DAB to the whole of the UK. Our approach has been to group existing
analogue Community radio and small commercial radio services by area, with a
view to examining the technical feasibility of developing a frequency plan
which would allow them to be carried on small scale DAB

I was clearly somewhat confused by the           '''and small commercial
radio services'''       ?               I didn't write this, Ofcom did.

The thinking was the same as it has always been --- either one is a
Community Broadcaster or a Commercial Broadcaster (you can't be both)
if Small Scale DAB was Community Radio FM/AM/Internet      then I just took
it as read. No need to go scrolling through Bills or listening to debates.

As I put in one of my posts, I did ask a question to which there was no
reply or answer. The question was :-     I don't think there are any (as
such) small Commercial FM Stations ?  they don't exist. I use the analogy
because in the case of selective memory loss, this was one of the original
arguments in relation to restrictions. Commercial Stations claiming that
they were '''small'''    '''tiny''''      and that their commercial
viability was threatened. This was happening even though many of them were
part of larger groups. These numbers have changed dramatically over the
years, with nearly ALL Commercial Stations now part of bigger conglomerates.

So in a Nutshell and in relation to this whole debate, there are no small
Commercial Stations, they may claim to be, but that's a matter of opinion.

Sorry to everyone for appearing to be argumentative, but I felt
clarification was needed as I thought Small Scale DAB was for Small Scale
FM/AM     ie:- Community Radio              I saw it as 'foot in the door'
.. possibly the back door

Here endeth the debate, I'll go and sit in the naughty boys corner again and
get on with some work as the Students have just arrived. Also, when you have
a dug a big hole for yourself, as the saying says ''stop digging''    sadly
I don't feel I am in a hole, anything but.

Let's have the discussion again in 12 months time and see how the land lies,
there are only two options, it will either be all hunky dory in the garden
or it will have gone slightly off-piste .. Trouble is it will be too late to
get it back on-piste.

Onwards and Upwards.

Nick

Canalside Community Radio Ltd.