[cma-l] Digital radio event in Glasgow - 23rd February

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 12:22:16 GMT 2017

I think Angel Radio have done a fantastic job with the trial - although this isn’t the conditions proposed.

For the most part, unused capacity would be caused by suppliers not releasing slots because there are no incentives in doing so. Not because there wasn’t a demand for the capacity.

If you own a station and a Mux (the only obvious combination), after your costs are covered, there is no financial gain to be had. In fact, you could find you’re losing advertising revenue to other stations on your Mux.

Plus, by adding more services your making it more difficult for the others to make any money. This would cause a churn of stations which adds to the Mux owner’s admin and costs.

I think it’s right to ensure greater access to community stations but let’s not have another not-for-profit mess.

Kind Regards

Alan

Alan Coote

Email - alan.coote at MonogramMedia.co.uk

Phone - 0800 949 6655

Mobile - 07801 518858

Twitter - @TheAlanCoote

Twitter - @LTBShow