[cma-l] Community Radio Transmission Coverage

ROBERT TYLER bobtyler at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 2 20:14:25 GMT 2017

Ian and all

>From what I can remember the 25W and 5km guidance was only such. It was implemented by Ofcom to offer protection for smaller ILR services that could be under threat from new Community Radio services, in revenue terms !!!. The joke now is that probably hardly any of the ILR services it was to protect exist now. Most have merged into ILRs, groups or closed.

In my view, the whole ‘experiment’ was the last hurrah and some sort of badge of respectability for the outgoing regulator, the Radio Authority and was very ill conceived.

Today, ten years later, we have a regulator that has no head of radio and only a handful of staff with some knowledge of radio. However, recently has OFCOM recruited 70 new staff to regulate the BBC. It doesn’t take much to realise where their priorities are this year.

I think this does offer some upsides.

But Ian, I’m afraid the door has now closed. If you look at the alleged Ofcom ‘consultation’, it clearly states their preferences going forward. They even miss-quote the CMA online survey. The majority of respondents do not want more services licenced.

I do not agree the door is ajar. It is closed.

    Bob