[cma-l] FW: BBC local democracy content for the sector?

Paul Pennington paulpennington at btconnect.com
Tue Feb 7 11:17:51 GMT 2017

It does seem a little strange that this new local journalism service once
aired by the BBC is then only offered for online and newsprint reproduction
– in theory- community radio stations could carry this content on their
websites (inc hyperlink to the originator) and by simply lifting the salient
points from the online editorial, rewordng and highlighting it via the
airways of community radio including a reference  pointing listeners to the
fuller online report via the community radio stations website, they’d
comply.

This whole ‘not for broadcast’ label is also strange given the way that
people are increasingly accessing editorial and entertainment online –in
today’s market is an online video/radio station not a broadcast?

I can understand the frustrations, but rules are rules, which each station
signs up to when they take on their licence - saying you are not complying
with restrictions etc etc is a breach  of those rules and therefore you are
acting outside of them and you will have your licence taken away. The CMA
doesn’t, as we discovered at the AGM before Christmas, represent all of
community radio stations, so it doesn’t have collective bargaining power –
it does what it can to influence change and does a good job in my estimation
– there is no requirement of ministers/Ofcom/’powers that be’ to listen what
CMA says, but the fact that it does, we have to be thankful for  -  the CMA
is also hamstrung by its previous status and funding as to what it can and
can’t do – which hopefully the new charitable status will help address.