[cma-l] BBC local democracy content for the sector?

Terry Lee Terry.Lee at beds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 15:49:08 GMT 2017

I went to a presentation delivered by Matthew Barraclough from the BBC about this in July 2016 (at Centre For Community Journalism, Cardiff). In my notes I wrote:

-----

...Matthew Barraclough from the BBC was answering questions about 2 new BBC initiatives that would specifically appeal to Centre for Community Journalism) C4CJ audience - '150 reporters scheme' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/bbc-nma-partnership) & 'newsbank' (mentioned in link also).

150 reporters (basically, across UK 150 reporters are funded by the BBC to cover local council meetings etc, but share their news with other local news orgs) scheme... they want to employ new people 'with relevant experience'.

News-bank -  Features local video and audio content produced by BBC, soon after initial broadcast.

Both of these schemes are for online and print only, not broadcast. Both are the BBC showing commitment to supporting local journalism.

Not sure if that at all useful!

Terry Lee
PgCTHE, FHEA
Radio LaB Coordinator
University of Bedfordshire
terry.lee at beds.ac.uk<mailto:Terry.lee at beds.ac.uk>

[cid:58C2319A-F69D-49EC-A884-F78ADCFF8CC1]