[cma-l] Commercial Radio Deregulation Consultation

Michael Robinson (MKFM) michael at mkfm.com
Sat Apr 29 13:51:13 BST 2017

I wouldn't necessarily consider the proposed changes to be negative. Some
(and by no means all) local commercial stations have been paying at best
lip-service local content outside of local news and travel. These changes
will simply allow community stations to step up to the plate in local areas
where this is the case and deliver the local service that the market needs.

I think community radio should see this deregulation as an opportunity
rather than a threat. The only possible concern I would raise is the
addition of local news requirements etc to DAB services. Would this include
community stations who run on the DAB platform and who may not have the
resources to provide this?

*Michael Robinson*
Senior Producer and Head of Online Content

e: michael at mkfm.com

*MKFM is Milton Keynes' local radio station available on 106.3FM, on DAB
Digital Radio, online at www.mkfm.com <http://www.mkfm.com/>,
at www.facebook.com/mkfmradio <http://www.facebook.com/mkfmradio> and **on
twitter** @mkfm <http://www.twitter.com/mkfm>. *
*This is an e-mail from MKFM Ltd. Its contents are confidential to the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It
may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended
recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error, please
email a reply to the sender then delete it from your system. Although this
e-mail has been scanned for viruses, MKFM Ltd cannot ultimately accept any
responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan
attachments (if any).  MKFM is a registered trademark of MKFM Ltd, all
rights reserved.*