[cma-l] PPL and PRS for Music consultation for community radio stations

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Fri Sep 16 15:03:28 BST 2016

For those of us with selective memory loss, please note that the JOINT Licence proposal has been our proposal for the last 4 years. (I always like to claim this, but I’m sure I suggested it first)(just like the national advertising scheme) The PRS/PPL dismissed it outright from the outset ………… I have the e-mails and correspondence going back years to confirm this.

The consultation should have been with us at Conference and then the CMA have the chin-wag with the PRS/PPL ……… we will all be sending our opinions into the ‘consultation’ and then hey presto, we’ll all get picked off one by one.

We will then either get :-

1)      A bum deal but we think it is a good deal

2)      A bum deal but Radio experts will tell us it’s a good deal (we’ve already had that one and the consultation hasn’t started)

3)      A mediocre deal that we won’t really understand with small print that knobbles you if you are a naughty boy

4)      A good deal when the Pigs start flying

5)      Or      a good deal    :)       do we actually know what is a good deal ?     what’s the policy ?

All we want is a FAIR deal taking into account what we are trying to achieve and that our jobs are lower paid / voluntary but we work harder as we are dealing with in the main none experts and trainees. We are running twice as fast as everyone else to stand still. We don’t need rules, regulations, restrictions that make us go backwards.

This isn’t rocket science.

Like I say …. This consultation has come about from this end to their end and not the other way around.

To be honest, I’m quite happy with what we’ve got at the moment … we pay the S/O and they leave us alone … win/win situation. The problems start when/if they come mithering again.

By the way     what do we think ???   no one knows ?    what Policy do we have ?     Do we as a collective body think it is OK at the mo, not OK, unreasonable ?  very good ?       I don’t know ?      I know what one or two individuals think but not what we think as a collective body           and here lies the problem.

Rag Tag and Bobtail   but   no ones fault    it is circumstances and lack of funding.

Mr Humpty