[cma-l] Remote Contribution Infrastructure

Callum McLean mail at callum-mclean.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 12:17:45 BST 2016

I was thinking about the Barix kit, but I didn't get the impression
that it was going to be robust enough...

Good to know that other people have used the PS-kit successfully - and
cheers for the heads-up about potentially high latency in the MP3
format! Was hoping not to go down the MP3 route in any case, but still
good to know...

Good shout about using SIP to negotiate the connection - will look into
it!

Has anyone used this sort of kit in a flyaway environment - i.e. not in
installations? Typically, this is the sort of thing where most people
might use a) an ISDN line; b) a flyaway sat connection; c) a bonded 4G
link. We *were* going to go down the multiple-carrier bonded 4G route,
until the cost just became prohibitive for what we want to achieve.

Also, to answer Iain's question, we're only using this over the public
internet - the plan is to require the venue hosting the OB to provide
us with a solid, wired internet connection - protected within their own
networking infrastructure, where possible, and then do everything we
can to keep latency and bandwidth down whilst retaining audio quality.
The only downside with the Sonifex kit is that they don't support
encoding in Opus :(

Cal McLean

--
Station Technician // Halton Community Radio 92.3 FM
mail at callum-mclean.co.uk