[cma-l] Feel Good Fridays

Cormac Lawler cormac at radioregen.org
Tue Mar 8 16:08:49 GMT 2016

Why limit feeling good to Fridays? :-) I wholeheartedly support the
suggestion to celebrate what we do in the sector; tell the stories about
who we work with and what we achieve. We’d love to share some of these
stories on the Community Radio Toolkit too:
http://www.communityradiotoolkit.net/we-want-your-stories/

Cormac

Cormac Lawler

Project coordinator

Radio Regen

46 Oldham Street, Green Fish Resource Centre, Manchester, M4 1LE

http://www.communityradiotoolkit.net

0161 234 2799

Company Ltd by Guarantee Registered in England and Wales No 3753832.

Registered Charity No 1077763

On 8 March 2016 at 15:44, Bill Best <bill.best at commedia.org.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> Community Media Association
> http://www.commedia.org.uk
> https://twitter.com/community_media
> https://facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation
>
> Canstream Internet Radio
> http://www.canstream.co.uk
> https://twitter.com/canstream
>
> On 8 March 2016 at 15:03, Martyn Haynes <martyn.haynes at wcrfm.com> wrote:
>
>> James makes a good point, albeit in his "unique" way  ;-)  - this mailing
>> list has become an endless loop of negativity in recent months and I don't
>> think it a) it represents our sector as a whole in a good light and and b)
>> doesn't help us achieve our goals.
>>
>> Sure, we're all facing an uphill battle with issues like funding, etc.
>> and many of us believe that we should get more help from those in charge,
>> but that's not going to happen to any great extent.  The benefit of being
>> members of this association is work together, I worry that an echo chamber
>> of whining isn't helping anyone.
>>
>> Can I suggest one day a week, perhaps a Friday, we use this mailing list
>> to show off the good things we've achieved, be it news about
>> funding/volunteers/some great audio whatever in order to bring a bit of
>> positivity back, we're all here for the same reasons, aren't we?  Let's
>> promote and encourage that?
>>
>> So, Feel Good Friday, who's in?
>>
>> Martyn

>>> Ofcom could gain empirical data, therefore it’s a technical trial.<
>>>
>>> I think you misunderstand. It was a 9 month technical trial. I am now
>>> arguing that it is no longer a technical trial, and that Ofcom are just
>>> letting these muxes continue on-air while they work out what to do next.
>>> Good for listeners. Good for those people who gambled successfully to run
>>> those muxes. I can't see the downside.
>>>
>>> But, this being the community radio list, don't let me stand in the way
>>> of more gripes and moans about Ofcom and how desperately unfair life is in
>>> general. We haven't heard how much PRS and PPL are going to charge yet! A
>>> rich seam!
>>>
>>> In separate news, I'm really impressed at the quality of radio from the
>>> community radio sector here in Australia. I visited Bay FM in Byron Bay a
>>> few weeks ago, who had massively impressive news gathering, and 4ZZZ in
>>> Brisbane also has tremendous and unexpected programming (a fascinating
>>> computer games news show the other day). 4ZZZ appears to directly feed the
>>> local ABC with staff, and similarly many of the local ABC staff are also
>>> involved with 4ZZZ too. I've yet to hear anyone moan about ACMA, much less
>>> whine about the general unfairness of everything. Seems that people just
>>> get on and make great radio, with the same lack of resource as the UK
>>> manages on, by the way.
>>>

>> --
>> Martyn Haynes
>> Director
>>
>> 101.8 WCR FM
>> www.wcrfm.com
>>
>> Wolverhampton Community Radio Training (WCRT)

Cormac Lawler
Radio Regen
Project co-ordinator

Tel: 0161 234 2799

http://www.communityradiotoolkit.net

Registered Charity No 1077763

Green Fish Resource Centre, 46-50 Oldham Street, Manchester, M4 1LE
<http://www.radioregen.org/>