[cma-l] dab trial propsed extention

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 17:40:00 GMT 2016

Mark

You raise interesting points.  It would be nice to think that Ofcom would take the opportunity to re-advertise but that will take time and resources (staff and equipment - they are supplying the equipment if I remember correctly).  They don't really have an abundance of either.  However, we should perhaps be actively encouraging them to think about extending the number of stations if the experiment if it is going to be run for another 2 years.

My main criticism of the initial experiment was that a DAB station will build an audience over 9 months and then the plug will be pulled which will just irritate that audience who will not understand the technically of an experiment that can suddenly take away a station they have grown to love.  If they extend the experiment to 2 years the audiences will be bigger and the howls of protest even larger.  Listening to Resonance clearly on DAB in South West London is a real joy and I'll be mightily irritated if the plug is pulled.

My best guess (hope?) is that the trial stations will somehow morph into permanent licences at the end of the experiment, coupled with the granting of new DAB licences to the sort of consortiums the experiment has thrown up.

Richard