[cma-l] Joint PRS/PPL licences

Alex Gray, Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 11:54:39 BST 2016

We received an interesting letter today from PPL giving notice of
termination of our current licence on 31 Dec because they are proposing to
come up with a joint PPL/PRS licence for community radio from that date.

This should make things easier for everyone and reduce the admin burden,
which is good news, and I guess will be generally welcomed.

The letter says PPL and PRS will be consulting with the sector over the plan
- I would urge CMA and anyone else able to respond to press for the new
minimum fee to be no more than the present minimum fee of either one of the
two bodies.

It seems to me if the new system will reduce their admin costs, there should
be no need for more than the equivalent of one current minimum fee to cover
that, especially as no doubt nowadays more of the admin is done at low cost
by IT than it used to be, rather than an army of clerks.

Alex

---