[cma-l] Community Radio Awards

Phil Gibbons philjgibbons at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 09:28:59 BST 2016

*Trevor Dann made a good podcast about the two competing Community awards
for Radio Today - check it out!*

I can't shed light on this situation Ed unfortunately.

It has been a long journey to get Community Radio reccognised within the
industry as a broadcaster to be taken seriously. We achieved that at the
last Radio Academy 'Regions and Nations awards' where 50% of the winning
stations were Community stations! Having been a judge on the Sony awards, I
can say that we are very much up there with other broadcasting sectors and
that is great and something to be proud of. Indeed, many awards have come
our way courtesy of the Sony Awards and others.

Let's never forget what makes Community Radio different though and
celebrate that, and to reccognise the great contribution that thousands of
volunteers make across the UK. I have always been wary of suggesting that
one volunteer has made better radio or is above any other volunteer as this
of course could have a detrimental effect on what we are all trying to
achieve.

Trevor Dann's great podcast about the two competing Community Radio awards
for Radio Today can be found here: http://radiotoday.co.uk/podcast/ The bit
about the two awards is from the 18 May show and starts at 14.30. He also
visits Global which was compulsive listening.

He comes away as confused as many of us are, and quite rightly so, and
almost mocks the fact that we can't get our act together for the greater
good of the sector.

A better consolidated approach should have been made here as this has only
confused many of us and the wider Radio industry. Why was one set awards
announced and then the CMA ones (sorry not the CMA, just the CMA chairman's
with a big nod from the CMA) awards announced the day after??

I think there needs to be a bigger discussion now about how we can really
celebrate Community Radio and how any future awards' initiative can be a
consolidated all singing and dancing affair, that represent the whole
sector.

Therefore, I ask the CMA to find out how this happened this year, and to
suggest how they, as the representative body, are going to consult with its
members on how this can be done in future - maybe an agenda item for the
conference in September.

Phil