[cma-l] Community Radio Awards

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 18:38:08 BST 2016

Replying a bit late on all this.

The communityradioawards.co.uk are the ones that I am running, and the
deadline closed at the weekend.

Its (was?) £5 to enter / submit a nomination, we are about to start
processing the submissions and confirming judges at the moment (so if
anyone on the list offered to get involved watch for an email very soon).
We are running a judge led process for a shortlist and then the Gold,
Silver Bronze will be announced at the awards ceremony which is the same
night as the CMA conference (watch this space for details!),

Its worth stating again, that these are not the CMA awards, any whilst they
are 'endorsed' by the CMA, I/We wanted them to be independent and also open
to all CR licensed stations.

Why awards? well through long conversations, stations felt they wanted
them.. I believe the sector needs to shout louder about what great work it
does in its communities, and some stations said that being nomination alone
would be something to help raise their profile in their local community, to
note on a grant application or as part of conversations with advertisers /
councils etc.. I see lots of many and different benefits of the awards, and
aside for "blowing smoke" its truly showcasing, celebrating and
highlighting those involved in community radio and the fantastic work they
are doing.

The awards are very different in various aspects, and it wouldnt be right
or fair for me to attempt to compare them, we have been in communication
(and in fact we started that communication) with the other awards, and are
keen to have a dialog with them, we are currently awaiting a reply from our
last email sent to that effect.

We wish everyone the best of luck to those who have entered the awards, and
hope to see lots of you at the ceremony to celebrate community radio.

Martin