[cma-l] Radio Link Transmission systems

Marc Steele steelegbr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:11:02 BST 2016

Hello,

There are a couple of solutions I've seen in use in a number of locations.
The first of these is using the previously mentioned 5.8GHz link using off
the shelf WiFi equipment (e.g. Ubiquity, Aruba, Motorola). On the plus
side, it's really cheap and only requires some IP codecs at each end.
Depending on the frequencies chosen, there may be a low cost licence
required. Also, there will be a delay in transmission making listening "off
air" impossible in studios.

If you want to get clever, you can start looking at backup links with this
option (e.g. DSL) but that requires kit and knowledge. Oh, and watch out
for interference as well as other users.

Another option is the analogue 1.5GHz or Band I link. Licencing varies
between the two options but the kit can cost several thousand pounds.On the
up side, there is little-to-no noticeable delay (allowing off-air
monitoring) and you can locate the expensive processor, RDS encoder, etc.
at the studio end.

Regards,

Marc.

On 1 June 2016 at 12:06, Jonathan Pinfield <jonathan.pinfield at bcbradio.co.uk