[cma-l] Office 365 or alternatives

Eddie Stuart eddie at kcr.fm
Mon Feb 29 03:14:06 GMT 2016

Open Office, or better still, the fork of Libre Office - is indeed pretty close and free and neither have the "benefit" of Microsoft pushing you to upgrade the whole O/S and many other joys!

We use it - more than adequate for most uses.

Best of all, as you say, free - and there are versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, viewers for Android.

Output to PDF files, recently discovered by Microsoft as a good idea, has been standard for years.

If you just need basic Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Email, Web browsing, an old PC with Linux & OO/Libre will cost you nothing and do what you need.

The only serious missing item is an equivalent of Microsoft Access - there is a database but the front end leaves much to be desired. However, we use MySQL (again, cross platform & free) in a web browser environment, so......

In the CR world, that (lack of) cost is a helpful starting point!

Cheers,

Eddie
(on his 10yr old laptop converted to Linux & Libre ages ago when WinXP got flaky and unsupported..... - that's not being tight btw, it's a 17" screen & 1Tb of disk and working perfectly.....)

KCR broadcasts across Moray and beyond on 107.7FM
and to the world on the internet at http://kcr.fm

KCR is the operating name of Keith Community Radio Ltd.
Registered in Scotland: No SC 173805
Registered Office: 59a Land Street, Keith, Banffshire, AB55 5AN