[cma-l] Region 10 Licensing

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 10:04:47 GMT 2016

Whilst having a lunch break on site in E4 on Monday I switched on the car radio for a few minutes.
I simply used the built-in "next" scan based on RDS received PS data
Not surprisingly, I found more illegal broadcasters than those licensed:94.6 MHz - (unidentified - no PS)96.5 MHz - DEMRADYO98.1 MHz - MYSTIC99.8 MHz - @SUPREME101.5 MHz - LDN/EMPIRE102.8 MHz - RADYOUNT
104.2 MHx - PLAY FM105.2 MHz - HOLIf you've been shown around the Baldock site you'll know that Ofcom is aware of and regularly logs these offenders.The reason why they are still there is that they are of low priority as they are not causing actual interference to licensed users - and hence are effectively occupying a frequency available for additional new licensed users.Bear in mind that conditions will vary enormously within the M25 - but there are scores of illegal operators in the 204 channels that constitute the Band II spectrum.When Ofcom opens up region 10 for Applications, it will be interesting to see its approach.Will it specifically invite these broadcasters to become legitimate?Will it tell them that if they don't apply then they'll be "hunted down to extinction"?Will it ask Applicants to submit their own scans showing illegal users?
Will it simply say "No FM frequencies are available - do please have AM - it's the same thing really"
I wonder if it's worthwhile taking bets?
Ian Hickling
Partner

Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS