[cma-l] PPL / PRS for Music mini consultation

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 11 09:17:17 GMT 2016

Eddie

I agree with your sentiments - there are too many unexplained anomalies in PPL/PRS. We need a simpler system, and one that ensures all suppliers are compensated but one we all understand.

PPL/PRS rely upon a dubious clause in legislation that surely was never intended to cover public broadcasting.

Last time I checked the CEO was paid £600,000 pa - that may be OK but can he ensure that all registered musicians are paid? No, he cannot. So what happens to the music fees left over?

Speech broadcasts tend to ignored: so I can talk the hind leg off a donkey - and get nothing.

I’ve suggested, in the past, that CMA could provide a similar service for its members - we could start if by crowd funding, then fees, and ensure that all our small musicians received equal shares.

Many deals could be sorted out with record companies and musicians - who would gain many advantages.

Trevor Lockwood