[cma-l] PPL / PRS for Music mini consultation

Eddie Stuart eddie at kcr.fm
Thu Feb 11 02:44:16 GMT 2016

Like so many others here, I object to the separate charges by PPL/PRS for FM, webcasts, DAB etc - the overall number of listeners will remain the same.

Many Community stations will play a lot of music by local unsigned bands who will get nothing (other than exposure) - how do PPL/PRS justify paying money to Justin Bieber et al (I don't think that anyone here has actually played him) but pays nothing to a busker who self-releases some music which we feature and do actually help generate sales for them?

We use Canstream for our webcasts - we don't purchase the bandwidth for a Radio 2 level of listenership. What possible justification do PPL/PRS have for the level of charges for webcasts?

I have submitted the form as requested and look forward to the response from PPL/PRS, but......??!! :-)

Cheers,

Eddie

KCR broadcasts across Moray and beyond on 107.7FM
and to the world on the internet at http://kcr.fm

KCR is the operating name of Keith Community Radio Ltd.
Registered in Scotland: No SC 173805
Registered Office: 59a Land Street, Keith, Banffshire, AB55 5AN