[cma-l] PPL / PRS for Music mini consultation

Paul Golder paul at pvg.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 19:13:38 GMT 2016

> To the best of my knowledge PPL and PRS do indeed increase their fees by
inflation each year - but I'll put this to them to check.

Happy to be corrected on this.  But I know we have had practically zero
inflation for over a year now (
http://www.rateinflation.com/inflation-rate/uk-inflation-rate) and I don't
recall having a zero increase, but who knows.

>  Furthermore, the licensing agencies are charged with maximising income
to their members - and their members would not stand for reducing their
income. A proposal such as this would have to be passed by a resolution
from their members.

PRS and community radio is a ridiculous exercise - I get local artists give
me their PRS number because we play their music, but I doubt they get more
than 1/100 of a penny of the £700ish a year I give PRS.

We play a lot of music from emerging artists but I suppose the majority of
our PRS goes to Ed Sheeran, Adele, Justin Bieber etc, who we play very
little of!

> Apart from the general principle of why they are collecting from
non-profit stations as others have raised, I would like to ask for the
justification for extra charges for Internet streaming and, in particular,
why they demanded fees for the Low power DAB experiment/pilots.

Good point and I second this.  It's not like anyone would be listening to
FM and the internet (and even DAB) at the SAME time, so why charge us extra?

Cheers
Paul