[cma-l] CMA AGM & Our Free Xmas Show For Community Radio Stations

Paul Pennington paulpennington at btconnect.com
Mon Dec 19 17:31:19 GMT 2016

My sincere thanks to the Community Media Association Council for the opportunity to speak at last Saturday’s AGM - it was fantastic to meet old friends and to make many new ones.

Thank you also to the stations who have come forward to say they’d be happy to take our 57minute 40 second Xmas Show, ‘So this Christmas’ - buoyed by the enthusiasm and positive response we’ve  received, my producer Sebastien gave up his weekend so we can get the show to stations earlier than we anticipated – and master versions are now whizzing their way across the UK – we’d be more than happy to distribute more versions, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me directly via paul at wordonhealth.com   and I will make it happen for you – it’s free to air, no commercials or sponsors – just entertainment all the way!

I am honoured to have Comic Relief as part of the Xmas  show – when I met with Gilly Green, Head of UK Grants at Comic Relief, whose interview features in ‘So this is Christmas’ – I highlighted the fantastic role that Community Radio plays in reaching parts of the community that the so called ‘traditional broadcast media’ doesn’t reach and asked, with Red Nose 2017 on the landscape - if they would be amenable to let Community Radio Stations, as well as the BBC, to highlight projects in communities across the UK where they’ve invested public money and  making a real difference in the likes of mental health, homelessness and domestic violence (to name but three areas where our donations are making a significant impact) - They then canvassed the views of the BBC, who I’m delighted to say, were wholly supportive of Community Radio getting involved.

A great opportunity to further raise the profile and power of Community Radio -  So, if you let me know directly if your station would like to get involved then I’d very happily to put you in touch with the relevant part of Comic Relief to take your interest and support forward.  This is the topic that I raised at last Saturday’s  AGM of the Community Media Association –and I’m grateful to the Chair and the Council for their support and to the gathering of members for their postitivity.

I look forward to hearing from you – many, many thanks for your consideration.

Paul Pennington

paul at wordonhealth.com