[cma-l] Tulip Radio to continue broadcasting on FM

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Dec 19 16:38:59 GMT 2016

--- Press release ---

Spalding and South Holland’s favourite FM broadcaster to continue, as local
registered charity Hereward Media steps in

The end looked certain last Tuesday morning, 13 December, when local
community radio station Tulip Radio sadly announced its intended closure at
high noon that day, in what was thought to be its final ever broadcast.
However, tipped off by the news the previous day in the local press, little
did the presenters of that show, Director Chris Carter and Business Manager
Jan Whitbourn, realise that they had inadvertently lit the fuse on a
fast-hatched plan to allow the station to continue.

Jan said: “We were half an hour into what was to be our final show when we
received a knock on the door, and a very comprehensive offer document was
delivered to us. We rapidly scan-read it, and decided, there and then, not
to switch the transmitters off as intended, pending a satisfactory outcome.
We were both unhappy about what we were doing, so to receive some hope was
a huge relief. We had received so many communications from our community,
expressing sadness with our closure; we knew we had to wait to consider the
offer.”

Hereward Media, a local training charity based in Peterborough, serving
that conurbation as well as the Fenlands, is delighted that their proposal
to continue Tulip Radio has been accepted. The station will be subject to a
major relaunch at 7.00am on Monday 2 January 2017.

Alex Geairns, Station Director of Hereward Media noted: “The deal will
preserve this vital community asset for the Spalding and South Holland
area. Broadcasting is one of the ancillary outputs from our training
initiatives, where we increase the employability of those who need a new
direction in their careers. Radio, TV and internet skills can be
transferred to a whole host of professions, and bringing Tulip into our
group gives us a hub in another part of our coverage area”.

Tulip will continue to broadcast to Spalding and surrounding towns,
maintaining local studios and a community centre, and involving the whole
of its catchment area. Scheduling and technical changes will be rolled out,
and a marketing team will work with local businesses to enhance the
commercial offerings available via Tulip’s advertising and promotions.

Chris Carter, Tulip’s Director said: “This was far later an intervention
than the eleventh hour - this was more like three minutes to Midnight! I
was on-air when the letter from Hereward Media was thrust into my hand. I
was already amazed with the offers of support which were coming in, but
what was being proposed, in this case, offered exactly what was needed.
It’s not money that has been the issue with our station, it has been
provision of technical know-how and numbers of volunteers. These are both
addressed with Hereward Media’s business plan, which leaves me both
delighted and relieved”.

Hereward Media is in the process of setting up a media training centre in
Peterborough, coupled with a Local TV channel, and activity in the future
will include the eventual opening of a television studio in Spalding as
well.

Alex Geairns said: “Our original intention was to have radio in our remit,
but with a focus on online-only. With Spalding in our catchment area, it
will allow us to ensure the community continues to be able to have a voice,
and on easily accessible FM airwaves. All I ask now is all those who
stepped forward in the last few days to help their local radio station, as
we did, now follow through with their offers. We want to hear from
everyone, as we need new presenters alongside the established ones, and
there are many behind-the-scenes roles to be taken. Community radio is
volunteer-driven, and you can never have too many people involved.”

Plans are already in place to establish Tulip Events Management as a
separate enterprise, based at The Crescent as before, and will continue to
organise a whole range of local events, many with outside broadcasts making
them part of Tulip’s on-air activities. Business Manager Jan Whitbourn
said: “I am looking forward to continuing our outreach to the local
community, supporting so many good causes. This will be in a way where
people can see how they can be part of their local radio station, as well
as helping us out with the events we aim to help run in the community.”

To get in touch with Tulip to see how you can help, please email
tulip at hereward.media
\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video