[cma-l] FW: It's your CMA! Talk to us.

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 14:59:43 GMT 2016

This is a really interesting thread.

I think different stations call the people who keep the service ticking over different things. There will be some places where these people are members, because they pay their subs and have a vote on what the organisation does. I tend to use the word ‘volunteer’ as it indicate that the team are not being paid and whilst they are brilliant this means a different level of service than if we paid them. By that I mean the task will be performed to a high degree, but please don’t expect them to be there every day of the week between 9an and 5pm.

Nick probably has it right in using the word participants, as they all participate in the management and operation of the service. Whilst it might be useful to delineate between those who are managers and those who are not, a blanket term remains a useful point of difference for our sector. Community media is part of the voluntary sector and we should be proud of that. Of course, if someone could pay a wage to everyone that would be wonderful, but in most cases that’s not why people are here

Best wishes
Richard