[cma-l] PPL & PRS for Music Joint Licence for Community Radio

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:14:05 GMT 2016

Gentlemen

I am obliged to you for your wisdom - less so for your cynicism.
The reason why I am "pedantic" as you put it James is that any formal arrangement has to be based on the use of clear incontrovertible language in order to be understood and then to be capable of legal interpretation and enforcement.
I suggest that one of the reasons why "all around us the World is going mad" - apart from the  obvious ones of religious and ethnic differences - is bad use of words from ignorance, carelessness or arrogance.
Further, I suggest that if someone asks you for a payment of this nature, relying on legislation, the onus is on him to offer the justification for his case ab initio rather than for you to have to go away and look it up.
That is all I am suggesting that PRSfM and PPL do, and as Alex has confirmed,  neither PPL nor PRS has ever submitted a statutory licensing scheme for approval within the terms of the Copyright Act and they have so far relied on their rights gained by exclusive contracts between them and record labels, performers and composers.

The word "rights" here is also open to question and definition - sorry!

Ian Hickling

Partner

[https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/2SkDsnIzSZgRbNnNKBSiwxiFhFQWRGV55mTjVL23fulnJpstZmYxeKrrYefY4qxiSgkMrAETld64XINLXCsujE_zI5gAsQyWeCWvHixcrNYtar3Sij4YlVBgN2NSQ-n2DsgZvrnpWZlfwCQ=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.transplanuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/transplan_UK_weblogo_190x60.png]<http://www.transplanuk.com/>

Office: 016 3557 8435  (07h to 22h GTS)

Car: 075 3098 0115 (only responds when driving)

6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS