[cma-l] PPL & PRS for Music Joint Licence for Community Radio

Nigel Dallard (Winchester Radio) nigel.dallard at winchesterradio.uk
Thu Dec 1 20:18:45 GMT 2016

Before I reply to Ian's questions, as this is my first post to this
list, let me introduce myself...

I'm Nigel, I'm one of the Trustees of the charity Winchester Radio,
which currently provides a hospital radio service at the Royal Hampshire
County Hospital (I'll leave you to guess where that is situated!), and
which was awarded a community radio licence over the summer by Ofcom to
serve the city of Winchester. We'll be providing a service targetting
the older generation, with the intent of encouraging "active ageing",
healthy living, engagement and involvement in the community, etc, etc.
We're busy planning our new larger studios and raising the money to
build and equip them, and buy and install a transmitter, mast and
antenna at the moment. And, as we're moving into community broadcasting,
we thought it only right & proper that we join the CMA, so those of you
attending the AGM on the 17th, please do come and say "hello".

And now back to the scheduled programme...

Ian, I'd refer you to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents) and in particular
Section 90, entitled "Assignment and licences"
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/90) and the whole
of Chapter VII, entitled "Copyright Licensing"
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/part/I/chapter/VII).
PRSforMusic and PPL "licensing bodies" under this legislation, and the
various licenses they offer are "licensing schemes".

I say "offer" advisedly - you are entirely within your rights not to
take a licence from PRSforMusic and/or PPL, but then, unless you
individually negotiated with every rights-holder (and there will be
many) of every piece of music you played, you'd be committing the
criminal offence of infringing copyright.

Now you can argue (and I might join you!) that this should be a civil
matter - effectively equivalent to a breach of contract - and is not
serious enough to be a criminal matter for which you could, in theory,
end up in prison, but the law currently says otherwise.

Likewise, many people are surprised that, as charities, hospital radio
stations - and I guess by extension community radio stations, many of
which aren't charities, but are not-for-profit social enterprises - have
to pay to play music. Personally, I have no issue with this in principle
- donations are legally always freely given, and people can decide what
causes they wish to support, and you wouldn't reasonably expect BT to
provide every hospital and community radio with free telephony and
broadband, so why should people/companies in the music industry be
expected to provide the fruits of their labours free of charge?

I do, however, have an issue with the amount such small, local,
not-for-profit organisations have to pay, and the lack of any
competition to or, in the absence of that, effective market regulation
of, these collecting societies.

There is, of course, the Copyright Tribunal, to which all such
"licensing schemes" run by "licensing bodies" can be referred. Hospital
radio had its own dispute with PPL a few years ago, and the Hospital
Broadcasting Association (the equivalent of the CMA for hospital radio)
took QC's legal advice about taking the dispute to the Copyright
Tribunal. It was told not to waste it's money - this was so big a can of
worms that PPL couldn't afford to lose, its pockets were much deeper
that the HBA's, and the chances were that they'd just keep the issue
live until such time as the HBA ran out of money. That doesn't sound
like effective regulation to me!

All the above is, of course, my own personal views, and these do not
necessarily reflect the corporate views of Winchester Radio  :-)

Cheers,

Nigel

--
Nigel Dallard